Senior 3D Designer (Events & Environments)
Full Time, LA
MKG is looking for a talented and versatile Senior 3D Designer to join our Design team.
As a creative agency specializing in brand action, each project we take on is totally different from the next. With that, this role entails conceptual and executional creative work across a variety of project types. The right candidate will demonstrate excitement, experience and flexibility in working across a multitude of brands as well as a curiosity for continuously exploring new approaches and executions.
The Senior 3D Designer will primarily be responsible for leading the design of branded spaces and experiences, and they will directly oversee other members of the 3D Design team. They will also work both independently and collaboratively (with both 2D and 3D designers) on projects at varying capacities — leading projects independently, leading projects collaboratively and supporting others on projects.
This role is located in Los Angeles. Candidates are expected to live within commuting distance of our LA office and be present for collaborative, in-person work on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
● Lead spatial design on some of the agency’s most robust and complex projects
● Lead on the development and execution of all 3D design elements on a project (floor plans, 3D models, polished renderings, etc).
● Mentor and manage junior to mid-level 3D Designers
● Participate in the creative ideation phase and brainstorms.
● Develop original design concepts through mood boards and sketches.
● Deliver and present design deliverables directly to clients.
● Design with close attention paid to budgets and timelines.
● Lead site visits and surveys.
● Manage sourcing of props, furniture, and/or decor.
● Produce simple graphics using brand guidelines, and prepare files for print.
● Co-manage fabrication vendors on projects (with Production). Create and manage build lists for quotes. Value engineering as necessary.
● Lead from design at load-ins/installs.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
● Have a robust portfolio of spatial design work
● Have solid experience working with brands and within brand guidelines
● Demonstrate solid experience in concepting and designing clever physical environments, sets and displays
● Have experience managing and mentoring other designers
● Demonstrate a passion for staying on top/ahead of design trends
● Demonstrate an acute attention to detail
● Be a strong team player and collaborator with stellar people & communication skills
● Have strong project management and delegation skills
● Be extremely organized and show diligent follow-through on every task assigned
● Demonstrate excellent time management. Be able to multi-task and manage several projects with various deadlines at any given time
● Possess confidence and ability to articulate in presenting work (internally and externally)
● Speak up and offer ideas and perspectives that further push the work
● Have the ability to work calmly under pressure and meet all deadlines
● Be a self-starter and act proactively
● Have experience working directly with fabrication shops and speciality vendors/partners
● Have experience working within and managing budgets pertaining to fabrication and printing
● Possess basic graphic design skills and at least some working knowledge of print processes
● Thrive in a collaborative environment
● Have a proven track record of creative execution with 5-8 years experience
● Degree in Industrial Design, Environmental/Exhibition Design, Architecture, Interior Design or related field AND/OR have the ability to demonstrate robust experience working in the field (formal college education/degree not required)
● Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator and Photoshop at minimum)
● Have proficiency in SketchUp or other 3D programs, with the ability to learn SketchUp quickly
● Working knowledge of Podium, V-Ray or other render programs
● Hand sketching skills are a plus!